I think I was mildly hypothermic most of today. My feet were numb the entire day. We did have a very stiff tail wind which helped us fly down the trail. It snowed off and on all day.
This is how the lighting was today. I am up on the dike right next to the river.
There is a full sized Parthenon here overlooking the Danube. Walhalla is a hall built in the 1800s to venerate important Germans. Kind of a jarring sight, but pretty impressive nonetheless.
We watched a large herd of sheep being moved by several expert dogs and a lone shepherd.
I kind of dreaded the idea of camping all day because I was so chilled, so I wasn't too disappointed when the tourist office said the campground wasn't open. We were once again getting steered toward seedy city hotels but I specifically asked for a zimmer (guest house) outside of the city. Jackpot!I do miss creature comforts sorely when traveling. Today I just wanted a hot meal, some herbal tea, a good book, and a kitty in my lap, but I also know that each trip I've ever taken has added a richness to my life and is always worth it. I love sifting through memories of previous places - I still think about our volunteer trip to Nepal nearly every day even though it was not a pleasant or easy experience. And I never take home for granted anymore.












2 comments:
Finally catching up on your travels. Sounds interesting to say the least. All is well here in the neighborhood. We are back in MT unloading, cleaning, washing clothes, etc. Have a great trip and keep posting.
Yum, knoppers sounds good! So happy the guesthouse turned out well. Also, Corn asked me to formally request on her behalf that you guys come visit when you get home ;)
Post a Comment