Thursday, April 17, 2014

Camping in tiny town of Kleinscwarzach

I think today was my favorite day so far. We intentionally have slowed way down and are making sure to investigate the local sites. Each place has such a learning curve. Today we stopped at 3 pm and asked if a little zeltzplatz (campsite) next to the river was open. The farmer agreed to let us camp there even though they don't open for a week. Unlike the city campgrounds, these little places don't have a zillion rules (Germany can be strict about things). That means our own hot, homemade food tonight instead is salami and bread!

This is my view as I write this. The sun is out! Scott is biking to a market 4 kms away. 
The Danube has lots of fresh water clams.
We went up to a palace and church a was off the track for some good views.
A cemetery encircled the church. I admired these ornate old grave markers.
One can certainly get cathedraled out in Europe, but I always enjoy a little moment of peace.
More views from the Palace above Bogen
The highpoint of the day is when this nice couple, Brigitta and Uwe, invited us into their micro camper for some hot tea. They are a retired pharmacist and an electrical engineer, with 5 grown children and lots of grandchildren. They have investigated every square inch of Europe in their nifty campervan, disdaining campgrounds, and only "wild" camping. They even took the van on a ferry over to Iceland. Uwe had some very interesting stories of growing up in East Germany, and how, at an older age, it is very important to him to learn English. Usually I try not to drop the Antarctica card because it tends to be a show stopper, but they were eager to know what jobs allowed us to travel for so long. After answering all their questions, they paid us a very high compliment: we were the most interesting travelers they had met. Wow. I don't feel terribly interesting but they took down our contact information and lots of things they wanted to google when they got home.
I will say again that people have been extraordinarily friendly to us. Ha, we keep getting mistaken for Brits. One lady said, "but Americans only drive, they don't bicycle."
The scenery today reminded me of the Sapphire Mountains in Montana or Vermont's Green Mountains.
This lady was walking about 12 dogs down the dike.
This very long barge quietly passed me just now, sounding little louder than a small car. 

1 comment:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Yay! That all sounds lovely! What will you make for dinner? Love you!