Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Linz

We rode along a major highway then turned a corner and here was Linz.
Instead of going down all the little streets, we headed for the Pilgrimage church high above town, across the river.
On the long push (way too steep to ride), at least 6 couples stopped to chat with me. Same questions every time (I think - very little English is spoken here). Where are you from? Where are you going? You brought your bikes from America?! One lady eventually understood we make no reservations, and just wing it for lodging every day. She turned to Scott and said, "Wonderful girl!" as if it was extraordinary that I was willing to rough it :)
The views from the top were spectacular! Later we would get lost around that bend of the river.
We could see the whole stretch of the Alps!
Many of the routes we go on are also part of Caminos in Europe, heading to Santiago and Jerusalem.
I love seeing this familiar sign from last year - the Camino de Santiago sign!

Leaving Linz late in the afternoon, we encountered sandstorms of tiny white gnats. They pelted our helmets like a downpour, and got into our eyes, mouths, and clothing. We've had our share of insect issues!

The campground listed in our book didn't exist, so we found ourselves well after dinner in the middle of no where. We pass an elderly man pushing his bike up a hill, and I think of the old fables where you help a needy stranger and he turns out to be magical and grants a wish. But he didn't need our help - we needed his. "Zeltzplatz?" we ask. He beckons us onward for a good 10 km, leading us to a campsite at dusk. I blow him kisses and get a small smile as he departs. (Forgive my endless switching of verb tenses - always in a hurry)

The European idea of camping is a wide open field with RVs all around - no fires or grills are allowed. Camp stoves seem to be frowned on. We have yet to see another tent in any established campsite.

Roller blading is still huge here. I gave it up when I took a bad fall in Maine over 10 years ago - but it still looks like fun! 

We've camped 4 nights in a row now - a big boon for the budget (trying to stay under 50 euros a day - now we are at 25 euros a day!).

 

1 comment:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

That's so cool that there are Camino signs! It was so happy to facetime with you! She might not have let on, but I could tell that Corn enjoyed it too ;)