Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A little of this and that


This picture captures it all in shuttles. Ann is doing dispatch trying to placate an irate military colonel who was upset because the old Deltas we drive don't have functional heaters in the back (actually they work but they asphyxiate people with diesel fumes, so you have to choose between being warm or very ill). Dispatch is the toughest job in our department and we all have to do it. It's great when it all comes together though - you are the ruler of shuttles while you are in that chair.
 
Hee, hee, Scott is going to kill me for posting this one. I was trying to capture how happy we are to be back together again, but Scott always puts on a serious face when a camera is pointed toward him :) 


Even biting his ear didn't do the trick.


Scott had an opportunity to get a tour of the fuel tanker docked at port.


The engine room. Soon the giant vessel with all the containers arrives, which means the navchaps are flown in, which in turn means that McMurdo becomes a dry town and everyone gets a little tense. It also means that the season is just about over.

 
Last night I also dragged Scott to country dancing. He had about as much fun as the time I took him ice-skating in Maine. I am ashamed to admit that some of the country tunes have been growing on me, even "Cotton-eyed Joe." I have learned this line dance, along with the waltz, the two and three-step, the cha cha, the ten-step, swing, salsa, the electric slide and more. I love dancing!

This guy knows the steps but practically tore my arm off doing the swing dance last night. Ouch!


1 comment:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Haha that first picture is pretty funny. And it's so nice to see you and Scott together again. Country? Really? You'll have to show me some of your moves though. SOOO good to talk to you last night! Loooove youuu!!!