Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My hero returns from AGAP

It took 13 attempts to finally get some folks out of AGAP. You can see that the weather still wasn't optimal, but apparently the NSF pressured the Air National Guard to get the people out NOW before temps hit below -55 (Herc planes can't fly in temps colder than this).


Scott took this pic looking down toward Willie Field as they approached McMurdo.
Getting off the plane in the middle of the night (yes, it is still full daylight all the time here). I stopped anticipating Scott's arrival after so many cancellations, so I was totally surprised to get a knock on my door at 3 a.m. I've had to drive lots of people who have just come in from the field and they usually smell like diesel, body odor, and an indefinable acrid rotten smell, but even though Scott hadn't showered in NINE WEEKS, he still smelled, well, good. Amazing! But his skin had a wax-like feel and his long hair stood out straight like a mad scientist. He said that when he showered, stuff sloughed off his scalp and skin. EW! He didn't have one day off out there and he ended up losing over 15 pounds. He and some of his fellow workers looked like they had come home from a war. One dude lost 35 pounds!

Scott and I went for a hike soon after his return and he took these pics. Click to enlarge!

There are only a few more weeks left. I can't believe it! Things will be super busy with flights starting to go out and cleaning the office and vehicles for the long dark winter. Scott is finishing up his reports on the field camp, then he works at the BFC getting equipment returned and inventoried from camp.

I keep hearing from people he worked with what an amazing hard worker and extraordinary person Scott is. Some of the fellows said that they would only come back to work at a field camp if Scott was the manager, but I think he wants to try to work in McMurdo next season. We'll see.

While things are wrapping up here, I've been enjoying a Spanish conversation group, a country-western dance class, and an East Coast Swing and Charlston dance class. Scott actually has been willing to come to some of the classes too - even though he hates country music :)
So much to do, so little time...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hola Jen! Realmente puede oler alguien bien despues de tanto tiempo sin ducharse? Eso debe ser amor verdadero :-) Me alegro de que los dos esteis bien. Un abrazo, Pilar