Friday, April 24, 2015

Salineras and Moray

$1 bus ride to Urubamba, 45 minutes up the valley. I love taking public transportation in other countries - a good glimpse into everyday life. Not sure what this statue was about...
Very ugly and touristy salt mines. 
Our taxi slowed for no man or beast. I had to cover my eyes at times.
Not unlike Montana or New Zealand.
Moray- the Incas created microclimates for growing corn and potatoes in these sink holes using their ubiquitous steps.
We've seen cats and dogs bounding up these types of stone stairways here in  Pisac town.
The Andes
I'll never complain about driving old Ivan the Terra Bus after seeing these rickety old buses.
$1 rides around town
Nope, not going to eat one of these.
Trigo sopa- yummy barley soup!
Local trout and pork. Doing a better job scouting out where locals eat. Yum!

Today we did more of a touristy itinerary and it was great but I prefer places way off the beaten path, like some of the stuff we saw yesterday on the big hike. It's also difficult to face some of the hardships and disparity of the haves and have nots in poorer towns away from the tourist dollars. I'm especially having a hard time with the many kind but clearly hungry stray dogs in the grittier towns.
Tomorrow on a more remote hike, I plan on taking some meat scraps from dinner and dog kibble (they sell it in little baggies at the market) with us.

Other glimpses from the day:
Cactus is used as fencing and to top mud brick walls for security.

Big kernel white corn is being harvested by hand this week, mostly by grandmothers. Hard work and no gloves!

Sheep, burros, children returning from school, dogs, chickens, and a pig or two all share the highway and traffic doesn't slow for anyone or anything. No one flinches...except me of course.

A women next to me was able to embroider tiny details on a dress throughout the bumpy bus ride. I got carsick watching her.

Fruit smoothies are sold roadside in the small towns. Calla lilies bloom in front of houses. Grandmothers wear two long braids down their backs. Bright purple quinoa grows in old Inca step gardens. The sun goes behind the peaks at 5:30. 

A full day.


No comments: