Sunday, April 26, 2015

Ollantaytambo

I am mesmerized by the fittings of Inca stones - seems machined it is so perfect.
Some of the ruins give me the same feeling I had as a little kid when we were in Mexico for a time. 
Bees have made homes in the ruins - I a guard told me these holes were only for sleeping, not for honey. We've seen some all black bumble bees and they remind me of tiny kittens.
Today's recipient of dinner meat scraps.
Ollantaytambo is made entirely of stones.
We had the ruins mostly to ourselves in the morning but by 2 pm, all the tour buses arrived and we could see thousands of people with our binoculars from the granaries across town.
Inca granaries on a very steep hillside 

Enjoying the sounds of soccer, Peruvian pop music (heavy on accordion), and dogs barking wafting up from the town.
Scotty is getting some great shots.
$1.30 for a giant bowl of bulgar soup, some beef, gravy, and rice, and some sweetened herbal tea.

Had a long conversation with a Brazilian named Jefferson on the bus rides back to Pisac. He told us all about some great hiking places in his country. It was a funny conversation because we spoke in Spanish and we both had strong accents for the other's ears.

We keep running into tourists who are here for the Ayahuasca healing ceremonies, and they tell us all about what the ancient goddess is showing them while they take the hallucinogen, even while they purge (vomit) the bad stuff. It seems almost like a religion, and I am completely fascinated but not tempted. Heck, it bugged me to read a recent news account about how Tylenol can dull both good and bad emotions. I don't like to be in a chemically altered state, but I am still very interested to hear how people's lives have changed from these ceremonies. 

No comments: