Thursday, October 27, 2011

Shuttles!

Leadership - watch out! Sharona, on the right is our supervisor this year. She is the one who gathers all the chicks in, reminding us to eat protein in the morning and encouraging us to give 6-second hugs and be a beacon in the community. I am a senior this year, which means I work half the season on nights and I have more of a supervisory role than other years. Right now I am in the process of trying to convince my body to sleep during the days and stay awake as the sun dips low in the sky at "night". Eee gads, right now it's nearly midnight - way past my bedtime! My goal is to stay awake until 2 am tonight. Considering how difficult my jetlag was after coming back from Nepal, it could be a rough ride.

Large Vehicle Operators. We get to drive Ivan and the monster vehicle (eventually).

The rest of the gang (Six more drivers are coming in early Nov.) It's a huge department working out of a dorm-room sized office. We have physicist, a school bus driver, an executive who worked for the Lincoln Center in New York City, a hagland driver who lives in NZ, a NOLS instructor, two geographers, a forest ranger for Australia, a raft guide, a former Peace Corps volunteer, an over-the-road trucker, and others who have had many different occupations. We have a guy who qualified for the olumpics in swimming, someone who was flirted with by Bill Clinton right before the Monica Lewinsky thing, another guy whose relative was once the world's tallest woman, a kind-hearted Michigander who fosters pit bull dogs on the off-season, and a couple of people passionate about Texas Holdem poker (they are going to teach me during one of the nights I'm trying to stay up). It's an eclectic bunch, and we were all hired based on phone interviews. The common thread I think is love of adventure and flexibility.  What a great team!

No comments: