 |
| Dorky picture, I know. I love purple! |
 |
| It almost looks like a Bitterroot doesn't it? |
 |
| There were dogs at all times on the walk I took despite the sign. |
 |
| This flower smelled spicy and pepperminty. Love the lavender halo around the middle. |
 |
| Yes, Elizabeth and Ben, I still do this kind of thing even when I am by myself :) |
 |
| It seemed like these Hare Krishnas were following me no matter where I went, but it turns out they were just going down the most popular walking path, just like me. The girl in the middle looked closely at me when I finally ducked into a store to let them pass. She was searching for derision but found only a gentle smile. |
 |
| I followed these little paths into the hills above Sumner. |
 |
| Soaking up as much nature and greenery as possible |
 |
| All the mountains in the distance have lots of snow on them. |
 |
| I love mussels, but I hate when the guts pop out at you. I don't want to look at all that bivalve business. |
 |
| Add caption |
 |
| The seagulls were all over my case trying to get my fish and chips. |
 |
| This plant reminded me of Fibonacci's code and the golden ratio |
 |
| I was rather perplexed by the long extension at the end of this slide, especially after I watched a kid slide down then get hung up in a painful way in the flat section. |
 |
| Do you ever notice that when you are completely alone and no one knows where you are that your senses are heightened? Somehow it made me slow down and pay very close attention to all the little details. Great for a day or two, but then I start to miss Scott tremendously :/ |
 |
| Many houses on the cliffs in this town south of Christchurch fell off in the earthquake. And yet, the Kiwis remain as cheerful as ever. |
 |
| After over 24 hours of traveling, my legs got really swollen. Fugly! Oh, and the black toenail is from a trek in Nepal and the blister is from Contra dancing. |
 |
| These limbs reminded me of the flanks of some athletic ungulate. |
 |
| In the empty spot to the left was the hotel we always used to stay in. It's weird how the disappearance of some of the older stately buildings completely change the feel of the place. So sad to see all the destruction from the earthquake. |
Today we were delayed from going down to the ice because of weather. Tomorrow morning we have to go through the same routine. Be at the Antarctic Center at 4:30 a.m., suit up, check in, get briefed, board plane, fly 5 hours, etc. Two planes are headed down tomorrow - the first flights of mainbody and the first flights in 6 weeks. Elizabeth and the rest of them will be hungry for freshies. Scott leaves on Tuesday to start the long journey. It can be pretty exhausting. Oh, and one more thing...it is so jarring to see Christmas decorations in stores when the daffodils and tulips are just blooming.
1 comment:
hahaha kevin and i just read this in the hocal lounge and giggled a lot. i can't wait for you to get here! it snowed all day so they might have to clear off the runway tomorrow. we'll see though... i hope you get here tomorrow! i want some mail, an apple, and a mama hug! love you!
Post a Comment