Saturday, October 22, 2011

Live Webcam Link and FNGY Blues

 
Click this link for a real time webcam view of McMurdo - it refreshes every 8 seconds.
 
Even more so than other years, I have this sense that Antarctica is our second home. When I enter the dining room and look out over a sea of 800 faces (soon to be 1100), I can identify multiple familiar groupings where I can comfortably park my tray. A good feeling.

Not so my first season. It's a tough go for the FNGies or newbies. Over the past several seasons I have observed a fairly constant number of crying incidents for first year folks. Our department averages about 7 bouts of tears the first few weeks. I used to think it was because our previous boss was all business, but the boss we have now encourages 6-second hugs and "watering the wilty lettuces" with compliments and encouragement. Even so, the tears happen. I think it's that people completely lose any sense of control of their own lives down here and lack a sense of competence and belonging those first days. Often their "go-to" person is on the other side of the world and in a different time zone. Sometimes I avoid the galley because my empathy runs too strong for those sitting alone, looking uncomfortable. I have come to realize I have to curtail the urge to comfort everyone, especially because my job as a senior in shuttles involves being attentive to 26 other people in the department. It's a fine balance here between taking care of yourself and making sure everyone else around you is also OK. Still, it's a good feeling to be able reassure folks they will be fine in a month when they know the job, get into a routine, and take part in extracurricular activities.
You never know what you are going to see as you walk around town.
 
Every year I have some sort of resolution or mantra to focus on when I come here. This year I am trying to lose any attachment to outcomes. I have to switch to night shift for half the season starting next week, which means I won't see Scott very much and I'll miss a lot of the activities I usually enjoy here like running races, dance classes, Spanish classes, etc. but certainly there will be some unexpected benefits too. I'll keep you posted...

No comments: