The observation tube was installed this week so we can see under the ice. The general public can climb down into that thing - we are headed down there this afternoon.
Looks like something from outer space, doesn't it?
Here it is going into the ice - you can't see the long, very skinny tube we climb down though.
View from the Australian Airbus which brought the first flight down. First class seats!
Such a gift to see Elizabeth :)
This year I'm allowed to hang out with Elizabeth from time to time. Cuties!
One of the last sunrises
Our room before...
Sitting on the side of Ob Hill taking it all in. Still awed by this place, even going into my 4th season.
Our room after we unpacked
Lots of full flights as the season ramps up. We are at about 800 now.
Ran into Elizabeth and Kevin one evening. We could tell it was them by their silhouettes.
Scotty
Sometimes the ice is almost sticky on the hikes, while in town, everyone is slipping like crazy.
Another view of our room after we unpacked
Scotty the explorer
My skin is still trying to adjust to the cold and arid climate.
I like the early season light changes. Soon it will be seem to be high noon all the time.
The winter was not very cold this year so there are concerns about the roads and the ice pier already.
We are both doing fine. It helps to understand that getting here is like leaping onto a super fast treadmill - you are in high gear, working every minute, getting re-trained on everything, training everyone else in turn, trying to unpack a little and get settled, remembering to drink enough water, hearing about everone's summer adventures, finding out about the new folks, etc. Soon I will be going to night shifts for half the season - something new for me. I'll get to see another subculture here, but I will miss Scotty and Elizabeth. It is going to be hard trying to figure out how to not disturb each other in the room, but many people have to do the same so I'm sure we'll figure it out.
|
No comments:
Post a Comment