Monday, September 26, 2011

Summer 2011

This juvenile owl hung around the house the entire summer, often watching Scott while he worked on the garage.

Just an end of the summer posting for those of you who aren't on Facebook. Since I leave tomorrow morning, I'm going to cheat and post some links (you don't have to be on Facebook to view them), but I'll post some random pics too. Oh, and if you are really interested on reading more about life in Antarctica, check out my daughter and her boyfriend's blog. They are both great photographers and writers and their experiences and observations are wonderful and unique:
http://weirdbirds.wordpress.com/

Food and cooking were on my mind this summer. Maybe it was because we ate white rice almost exclusively in Nepal for two months, but also it has become a great outlet for my creative side.
My first encounter with garlic scapes - the dark curly vegetable in the pic. Yum!

Whole grain sun-dried tomato pesto bagels. Chewy and savory!


Farmer's market soup (I think there are over 10 different kinds of vegetables in there).
Homemade mint chip ice cream. The mint from our garden was steeped in boiling milk then pulverized in a blender and added to the cream. I have to admit I shed a tiny tear - it was that good.


Fancy zucchini fritters with feta and basil.
 
 An album on my attempt at making authentic Nepali Momos:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150243301211148.319328.551446147&l=b27c4fb336&type=1
Next year I am thinking of keeping this blog going during the summer and posting a lot of food entries. I love to see what other people are cooking.

And here is a random collection of other photos from the summer:



Super Scott - conjures clouds and leaps whole mountain ranges in a single bound




And here are a few small photo albums:
Tubing:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150252909611148.322223.551446147&l=c5803b48a6&type=1
Bike trip to the Big Hole:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150262642966148.324951.551446147&l=6b5d1d9b21&type=1
Hiking with Ben:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150268527146148.326582.551446147&l=bb08fb3c8c&type=1
Hike up to Palisade mountain:
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10150290603751148.330970.551446147&l=08249ab5ee&type=1
And to end the summer and this blog entry, my lovely friend, Beth invited us to a contra dance and filmed Scott and me dancing. Thanks so much, Beth! That was a blast :) This clip is short and sweet.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z5rz0_WNczs

OK, that's all for now. I will try and do a blog entry every week on the ice. 





No comments: