Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Soiree

Singing our hearts out- it wasn't beautiful but at least we had volume.
This is almost the very end. Too bad I wasn't finished with my move before the picture was taken.
Ildaco is the hairdresser here and is originally from Hungary. She taught me a Hungarian swear word that was so vivid I almost fell off my chair while we were eating dinner the other night. Ask me about it some time, because I might have some young nieces reading this. Ildy is a riot AND she knows hair. We hung out together at the wild party after the show. There aren't too many women in our demographic (40-50 with grown kids) here, so the 3 or so of us tend to hang out :)
Sipping wine from a plastic cup before we went on...

The Soiree was a bit hit! We raised money for a women's charity in Christchurch and had fun being total hams. What a lot of work people put in - check out the back drop.
Doing the tango with Jana

Pre-show silliness

Fellow shuttle drivers and performers

Someone down here actually has a closet of naughty wear that we dipped into for the show.
Testing to see how it felt to be on stage (before the audience came in). I don't know why, but I didn't end up being nervous. It was actually pretty fun :)
The performers getting ready...
Jana and Audrey (I did Jana's makeup - isn't she a beauty?)
Shaking it!

Ha, ha, our feather boas kept depositing feathers everywhere.
The performance was filmed, so I may try to figure out how to get it small enough to post on the blog. Stay tuned.
Oh, and I talked to Scott for an hour yesterday! It was so great to hear from him. He sounds really good, although they are all working really long hours. Other tidbits:
-The scientists arrive this week, so they are in full swing.
-Scott has had to diffuse a few tense situations between the men and the camp manager. He told me that his experiences being a dad to Elizabeth and Ben really helped him in that situation, although I suspect he was good at that stuff long before we came along ;-)
-He won a contest of seeing how many rafters you cross (like monkey bars) in the galley, and he's the oldest guy there! He would be mortified if he knew I put this on the blog, but oh well, he's not here.
-Even though he has 85 sunscreen, his nose still got sunburned.
-They are having to cook on Coleman camp stoves for 15 men!
-He's going to send me pics in the next guard mail, so I should finally have some serious AGAP photos to post instead of my goofy pics. Yay!

2 comments:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

wow mom! you look gorgeous!

Anonymous said...

Tomatoes grown from poop in Anarctica should make wildflowers in Montana sound like a no brainer next spring.