Saturday, November 29, 2008

I won first place for my age group in the Turkey Trot!

This was the hardest 5k ever. We were running in gale force winds through big snow drifts on parts of the race. I've been putting in longer distances, so my lungs weren't prepared for the sprint-like pace of a shorter race. It was tough! I am the second person from the left.
These guys up front are guides on Mt. Everest so I don't feel so bad.

Not having all that much fun...

Here you can see me blowing my nose ;-)

I thought I did marginally well, but the weirdest thing happened. People have started coming up to me and telling me I beat the person who has won the over-40 segment of all the races for years and who also happens to run the hardest fitness class on the station (butts and guts). I won a $70 dinner for 2 and a gondola ride in Christchurch! I am so excited! Really, I'm wasn't all that fast, but I guess I don't have a lot of competition in my age group. Allllright!










3 comments:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Yay Mommy! That's so awesome...

james family blog said...

boy, you have grown facial hair! second person from the left has a beard! (look at top picture)
Go speedy! ;)

Unknown said...

Congratulations Jen, Looks like the preparation you did hiking up to McCart Lookout in Montana twice the same day carrying two heavy backpacks gave you an edge in Anarctica.