The day before Scott left, I took him out to Willie Airfield on one of my shuttle runs and he ran around near the edge of the airstrip like a little kid taking pictures. (Don't forget to click to make larger) Boy, does he love airplanes!
Check out how similar the planes were way back in the sixties! These are more pictures from my Dad's special boondoggle he won to the South Pole over 40 years ago.
Check out the state of the art South Pole station now! It can rise up, I heard, as the snow deepens. Scott emailed me today that they have been entertaining themselves there (while acclimating in preparation for AGAP), by exploring the old buried stations.
I remember that this slide and the one below used to give me the creeps when I was a kid.
Weird, that person on the left looks like everyone here in McMurdo, present day. Polies all have green parkas, we have red ones, Kiwis have orange and black, and the Italians have very fashionable one piece zoot suits. Everyone is identified by their outerwear - so much so, that last week I switched to a black fitted jacket for a day, and I was mistaken for military all day and my boss thought that one of our vehicles had been commandeered when she looked out her window and saw me driving one of the trucks in a black coat instead of Big Red. Everyone wears the same thing every day and if you switch something around, it messes people up.
Dad, you look so handsome, even with all that ice stuck in your beard ;-)
Anyone else see the likeness between Dad and Samuel's oldest boy, Ox? And Samuel, is it true that you are taking the first step toward being an astronaut? Get out of town! How am I going to keep up with that?!I just returned from Happy Camper school - the same 2-day survival course that Scott took. Fun times, really! More about that next time....
2 comments:
Yeppers, its true that I have started trying to become an astronaut. I made it past the giggle check, and they sent out letters to my references. In all I need somewhere on the scale of 30 references. I have taken the preliminary physical and rounded up the important medical records. Now they will evaluate whether they want to interview me. If they do it will be a week of intensive interviews and medical poking and prodding. And if I make it that far and get selected, that just means I am a candidate (about 1 in 10 actually fly). But I will keep you guys posted.
Scott's photo is incredible as always. And Abba looks so handsome in that picture! I hope your pizza party is going well! Love you!
Post a Comment