Sunday, November 13, 2011

This ain't no Maytag

The red zeppelin beast is about ready to drive. The rep from the company is supposed to come down this week and teach us how to operate it.

With a trailer on it, it's over 100 feet long. Look how the driver's seat is in the center of the vehicle. I'm so excited to get behind the wheel!

I keep going in the Observation Tube, thinking my nerves will calm down. The problem is, I keep envisioning a crack forming and the tube sinking down a thousand feet to the bottom. Scary! I do love the squeals of unseen seals and the peaceful heaviness of life beneath the ice though.

Being goofy helps me settle down and face my fears.

It's a long way down.

This is how I really feel down there.

Sometimes on my nights off I get invited to be a guest stretcher with the janos at 3:30 a.m. One time Kevin had a water drinking contest (who could drink 2 cups the fastest). I came in last and had to run to the bathroom for the rest of the night ;)

Being around these two makes me so happy :)

E checking out the planes at the ice runway.

Elizabeth is now working in laundry some of the time. She showed me these incredible machines, built for Navy ships a while back. I got very nervous because it looks like you could cut your arm off if you aren't careful, but there are numerous safety mechanisms in place. I think they wash 20 comforters at one time! Reminds me of cold war nuclear power plant control panels.

As usual, E is a whiz remembering precise instructions and she handles these machines with expertise.

She enjoys her solitary work in the huge, warm laundry room, listening to music and folding linens of hundreds of McMurdo-ites who have left the station.

This is no Maytag, let me tell you.

Behind the washing machines.

My cutey patoodie. How did she get all grown up? What a joy she is. Ben is also doing great! He has a great IT job at a bank in Missoula and is teaching himself to be a gourmet cook in his free time. I shed a tear when he told me he made a delicious chicken soup from scratch, using a picked over carcass, just like I do. 

No comments: