Sunday, November 7, 2010

The viewing tube and a fishing boondoggle

Believe it or not, I am looking out a window into the ocean 25 feet below the ice.

The underside of the sea ice - it's 2 meters thick right now

This is a dive hole not far from the viewing tube. Word has it that people have been jumping in. I would be afraid of being swept under the ice by a current.

The viewing tube is right where everyone is gathered around. It is about 2 feet or so in diameter - you can't even bend your knees to climb back out. If you have claustrophobia, forget about it!
You can see these lovely sea angels (cliones) flitting about down there.


All the planes have arrived - we are in full gear here. The station is bursting at the seams. We have people sleeping in cots in the gymnasium!



I got a chance to help scientists this week. We went fishing for trematomus bernacchii using Barbie and Disney fishing poles and rubber worms. I caught 3! It only took 6 hours to catch them :( Still not a big fan of fishing...


This is what you might find on the sea floor here.

These fish live up to 25 years! They have a huge liver and fairy-like fins. One of them barfed up a whole fish when we reeled it in.


A whole lot of sitting and watching...

Here is my lovely friend, Wendy, from Alaska, going down the viewing tube.

They close up the hatch each time someone goes down. Scary!

The other dude who got to go on the boondoggle with me said it was his best day ever on the ice. He caught 7 fish! I just don't get how fishing can be that enthralling. Oh well, all in the name of science...

No comments: