Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Good-bye Antarctica


Our time in Antarctica has passed by in a flash! What a fantastic experience! Click to enlarge.


Scott at the foot of Erebus


Me on the last night of swing dance lessons with the very patient instructor


Things I learned (see Scott's list below):

-How to country dance (Cha-cha, 2-step, 10-step, and even the Electric Slide)

-How to swing dance! I went to classes every Saturday night at the tail end of the season in the gym down here with a fun group of people.

-The inside of your nostrils can freeze when the wind is blowing hard down here, making them very sore for days afterward -ow!

-There are some pretty cool people from places like Iowa and Kansas down here

-It's possible to live in a closet-sized room and be perfectly happy

-It's super fun to drive a 67,000 lb, 6-wheel drive Terra Bus across the ice

-You don't really see many penguins or whales down here, and the seals you do see just lie there on the ice sleeping. So, you start to miss animals. I can't wait until the herd of 8 neighbor dogs come galloping up the hill when we get home!

-Ice folks are like one big clan.

-You begin to miss things like baths, real ice cream, trees, driving down a highway fast, the night time sky, hugging your children, having more than 3 outfits to choose from, being able to stray further than a 10-mile radius

-It's so sad to say good-bye to everyone :(

Scott's list:

1. Always wear a nose cozy when the temperature hits -50 or colder. (if you want to keep the end of your schnoz from freezing and falling off in a few days)

2. When given the opportunity, dance like a crazy man. (which is all I'm capable of anyway)

3. Spoon this side. Fork the other one. (label seen on the side of numerous packing crates and milvan storage units--but has other applications as well)

4. Never ever go anywhere for extended periods of time without toilet paper and a pee bottle. Never.

5. The wind will always be blowing in your face--no matter what direction you walk in.

6. M&Ms, Starbursts, and Jolly Ranchers are worth more than cold, hard cash.

7. The Great Flat and White is just that. Flat. White. And seemingly endless.

8. Given enough time even the most incredible adventure eventually becomes a job.

9. Whales are masters at playing hide-and-seek. Seals are not.

10. Just when you think you have everything figured out and dialed in, the ice melts.

11. Ugly, stained, and tattered, yet toasty warm, garments will become some of the very best friends you will ever make on the Ice.

12. It's OK to wipe off the oil dipstick between your legs. In fact, in some cases it's encouraged. (Jen says: It looks like people have been riding a greasy horse.)

13. Going for 10 weeks without bathing really isn't as difficult as it may seem. But don't expect freshly washed people to agree with you.












2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have to admit I am a little bummed that you guys are all done. I really enjoyed the blog. Ah well, I know everyone back home is looking forward to your return.

Aimee said...

Hi Scott & Jen! I've been a silent lurker all these months, enjoying your stories, descriptions, wild adventures, and the great photos. I can't wait to hear about your next adventure. =)