Saturday, February 7, 2009

Ship

This week was all about the ship. Over 100 Navchaps (Navy Cargo Handlers) were flown in for about 9 days and the whole station concentrated on unloading supplies for the entire year and then loading up science cargo, garbage, broken vehicles, etc. from here. McMurdo was a dry town for the week, although people still managed to find ways to have fun. Scott and I went to a Black and White party where we danced spastically under black lights with scores of other people to music almost identical to my running playlist (Michael Jackson's "Beat it!" Cyndi Lauper's "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun!" etc.) What a blast!
Twenty-four crew members were on the ship. Some seemed to be a little rusty with their social skills after several months at sea, but who could blame them... Notice the areas of open sea water. You can smell the sea!

Somebody posted this picture on the shared drive (actually all the pictures from this blog posting are snatched off the I-drive). Apparently this rock is along one of the hikes near town. It's a good representation of how I feel about leaving all the wonderful people I've met down here. (I'm seeing sadness, but on second glance, the face looks kinda of angry doesn't it?) Ah, but in six days we will be in sunny and warm New Zealand. Then after that, back to the kiddos and wonderful Montana! Yippee!



1 comment:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

i want a black light dance party! i'll have to find myself one in seattle this weekend! ahh and to smell the sea... we'll have to do some beach frolicking in oregon! love you!