17 miles
I'm going to have to let go of a few days in this journal. Que lastima, I don't want to forget a thing! You know you are absorbed and enjoying a trip when PMS comes and goes and you don't even notice (of course walking all day helps too).
Quick mention of the last town, Belorado. We stayed at another smaller private albergue, family run in a regular home. Fernando, the man of the house, was flamboyant, fastidious, and fussy but likable at the same time. He had a conniption when he heard a hotel in Madrid had kept my passport over night. It was only 5 euros to stay in his cozy home and we were able to cook our own oatmeal in the morning.
Oh, there's another dude named Bob who is around Scott's age who has been at all the same albergues. He has diabetes and has to check his blood sugar throughout the night. I am amazed he has found things to eat when there is so much white bread and croissants. Mom, he read those books you introduced me to maybe 20 years ago about walking across the country (Jenkins?) and he did the same a few years back, taking a year!
The walks the last several days have been into gale force winds. Makes it so much more difficult, but it seems to have caused lots of people to take taxis ahead or go home because there is virtually no one on the trails. More than fifty percent of folks now taxi their bags ahead. There is no judgment though - everyone is walking their own Camino. So many names to remember!
And now we are in Ages, a sleepy village of 60 people. I watched a stork couple bob at each other on top of the ancient church. Then they made a bunch of clacking sounds. Cigueña is the Spanish name for stork. They have huge nests on all the high spots of buildings.
Just a few miles from here is Atapuerca where they have found human ancestors going back almost a million years! Whoa!
Ugh, I snorted and snored myself last night. I try so hard to be a quiet sleeper but it makes it even worse. Mortifying.









No comments:
Post a Comment