Wednesday, February 22, 2012

New Zealand Travels

Getting on the C-17 to leave the ice.

Boats at Diamond Harbor, NZ, about 30 minutes from Christchurch

Love the color of the water here

Cow Pie mushroom

Not as friendly as the cow at the school in Nepal

Always ready to leave this cold, monochromatic place come February

One good thing about the ice is that it heightens the senses for NZ's beauty

At the top of Mt. Herbert, elevation 919 meters

Banks Peninsula

Looking at the heart-shaped grove of trees

I sometimes think we will decide to stop going to the ice when we can't bear to not eat healthy yummy foods

Limpets and a chiton

Blackberries - Scott's favorite fruit!

Call at the gate dawgs!

Scott's specialty pasta sauce...mmmm

The flat we are renting. $500 kiwi for the week. Free wireless and free plums :)

I think there are still more sheep than people in NZ. I can't help but baa, moo, meow, and bark at every sheep I see. They seem unimpressed no matter what I do.



The tower on the top of Mt. Herbert seems to be mysteriously drawing my hair frizz toward it.


Scotty on the trail

Sheep, and consequently sheep poop, are everywhere

The only thing that gets their attention is when I bark at them

Yes, I am mildly obsessed with food when I leave the ice

At the end of the Pidgeon Point Walkway, 10 miles round trip. So good to be out hiking.

I wonder how many sheep have ventured off this cliff.

Homemade pizza

Ian had 6 dogs, several of whom rode on his 4-wheeler with him. They knew their job and did it well. I noticed the dogs use their shoulders to check the sheep, like in hockey, instead of biting. Once they got the sheep to go in the right direction, they backed way off. I love the pride working animals take in their work.

No comments: