Wednesday, February 15, 2012

End of Season Stuff

Blasting the ice pier, separating it from land. The ice breaker pulled it further down toward the point.  
The army is setting up a steel floating causeway shipped down with all the stuff for next season. Semi trucks will be driving on it. They told me planes could land on it if they added enough sections to make it long enough. Cool!
An early season hike to Castle Rock. The weather has definitely turned a lot colder in the last few weeks.


Jaime in air services creates elaborate works of art with dry erase markers on the shuttles flight board. It reminds me of the Buddhist Thanka's, elaborate and intricate circular works of art made with chalk, often taking a monk a month to create.

Travis calls me his ice Mom. A good kid - his Mom did a great job.

This is from a couple seasons ago. I found the pic on someone's facebook page. I am still amazed at what people manage to bring down here. After 4 seasons, I too have a surpluss of things here. Next year I would like to just bring down gear to go camping and hiking in New Zealand and perhaps afterward to South America.
I am so ready for 75 degrees and the beaches of New Zealand. There are two planes going out of here tomorrow. The first, a Kiwi 757 has about 105 people on it and it leaves Christchurch to come get us at 0700. We're on that plane, which should get us in at about 1900 tomorrow night (it's funny how military time takes over the brain). There's a second plane, the C-17, taking off at 0900, but it takes a lot longer to load cargo onto, so folks won't get to their hotels until nearly midnight. It's always a gamble though because C-17s are not as fickle about landing. Nevertheless, we chose the 757 this time. Fingers crossed. Scott has some pics from throughout the season that we will post from NZ.  

Thanks for reading this season, even though it's probably beginning to seem like the same stuff each year. We'll post some more from New Zealand. Can't wait to see everyone back home!




2 comments:

FRANK said...

See you guys when you get home. Have safe travels.

Aimee said...

It always seems new to me! I'm glad you keep posting, and I love reading about all your crazy travels. =)