Sunday, March 14, 2010

Scary SCUBA

One last look at peaceful, cool, serene New Zealand
Out to sea on the Great Barrier Reef near Cairns, Australia
Gray Reef Sharks and Red Bass off the back of the boat at night. Scott went SCUBA diving with sharks all around him. I suited up, jumped in, got dunked by several huge waves, then chickened out and got back in the boat.
Dreading the night dive...

 
Me of the left watching the sharks circle
 
38 people on the 65' boat - getting ready to dive was usually pandemonium.
DivePro has exclusive rights to several spots in the Great Barrier Reef, so we were never crowded. Besides, you can't tell this from the pic, but the seas were VERY rough the whole time.

 
The majority of students on the boat were young European dudes. I'm not used to being the weakest link, but here I definitely was. Ah, the humbling effect of getting a bit older. SCUBA diving was not easy for me in any respect. I felt nearly panicky almost every time I dove. There are so many ways you can get injured or die doing this sport, if you are not vigilant.

Your eardrums can rupture if you don't equalize enough going down, you can get nitrogen bubbles in your brain or heart and die if you ascend too rapidly, your lungs can explode if you hold your breath coming up, you can get narcosis from going too deep and make stupid mistakes, you can get lost or run out of air....the list goes on.

 
Can you tell that I have a scared expression on my face?

 
Meanwhile, Scott was leisurely diving and exploring, having a great time. That is until this Trigger fish starting attacking him and nipping.

 
There was no way I could have taken pictures, let alone truly enjoy the incredibly variety of undersea life, but Scott was as relaxed as could be. I enjoyed it immensely one time - when I snorkeled ;)

 
When you go down, you have to keep track of your depth, your air, your bouyancy,  your compass direction, your buddy, your time, and you have to make sure and not touch the coral. INTENSE.

 
A giant clam
  
All those nature shows you've seen - well, it's exactly like that, except a lot louder down there.

 
Top view of giant clam
  
Happier out of the water. Check out the bandages on my feet from the fins. 

 
This is what happens to hair that is in the sea water 4 times a day and not shampooed in days. Several people vomited on the way out to the reef from seasickness. The bow of the boat was airborne often in the waves and the horizon dipped sideways every other minute. 24 hours later and I am still listing back and forth, especially when I close my eyes.

 
Give me the tranquility of New Zealand any day over this SCUBA craziness :) Actually, I know I will get used to it when Scott and I do some low-key diving in calm seas, just the two of us. Tomorrow it is back to Sydney for several days. A week until we get home!

1 comment:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Goodness gracious. I was worried while you guys were out there, but luckily I didn't have any of this info before otherwise I would have gone mad. NOT OKAY! You guys can mountain bike across the outback, climb big bad mountains, whatever, but no more scuba diving, kapeesh? By the way, Mom, your hair looks GORGEOUS! Love you both, come home already!