Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Farewell Spit - the northernmost point of the South Island

Hee hee, Ben, these are Oyster Catchers chastising the chick...look familiar? Oh, and by the way, while we are babysitting your flatscreen TV this summer, we plan on having a Lord of the Rings week, where we watch the whole series and check out all the New Zealand places we have been ;)
 
Do you see the grumpy face of the boat?
  
Every day is a photo shoot when you travel with Scott (this one taken with a tripod).


This hike meandered through sheep pastures - you have to climb up and over paddocks quite a bit. Scott got zapped by the electric fence one time when he was leaning in for a shot. Ouch!


The obligatory "frolic" shot, as Elizabeth would call it.


Click to enlarge


There is something iconic about this shot, don't you think?


I think this is where Scott's artistry really comes out - he sure knows what to do with forms and light.


We wandered on these sand dunes for several hours - I began to feel like I was lost in a desert because I couldn't find the trail head. We finally had to turn around.
The sand was very fine and the temperature was absolutely perfect. The only complaint I had was getting sand in my ears :)


Taking a break from shooting over a thousand pictures - no kidding.


Cutey!


Farewell Spit is home to over 90 bird species, some of which travel here from Alaska!
  
Loving every minute of it here!


That "mist" you see in the distance is sand blowing in the wind - the spit goes on for many kilometers but people are only allowed to walk out a few miles.


The North Island is somewhere out there.


Still life by Scott


This looked to me like a very sorrowful woman in the distance.


Patterns in the sand


 Otherworldly
 
Turning around after failing to find a trail


Feet and sand


Feet and sand II
OK, that's it for today, but like I said, Scott has taken thousands of great pics, many of which will never be seen. Alas, but we have plenty more for the next blog entry. Hope you are not bored :)

3 comments:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Wowwowow! Amazingggg! Scott, you need to teach me the ways. The frolic shot is fantastic! And all of the scenery shots are just incredible. I wanna go!

Aimee said...

So Scott, have you ever printed out your photos, framed them up nice, and sold them? I really think you could. You take the most amazing pictures!

Tim Broyer said...

Awesome photos lately. You guys are living the life!