Wednesday, December 30, 2009

The beginning of the end


The sea ice is definitely starting to melt, signaling the the beginning of the end of the season. (These are all pictures that people have put up on the shared drive.) There are lots of seals out basking in the sun these days. The time has flown by this year! Scott returns in about two weeks! I can't wait!

We had a fairly substantial snowstorm this week. I have some pictures on my camera of the white-out conditions we drove in. All we could see were flags - everything else was white. No horizon, no sun, no town, no road. Kind of fun! This Skua sits on top of the food waste bin, watching for people to harrass. If you don't hide your food under your coat, you will get attacked. I was laughing very hard last week when I saw a squirmish between Mr. Skua and Mr. Grumpy Carpenter Dude. The guy kept trying to whack at the skua with his coffee thermos but the gull dodged every blow. Very amusing :)

The windmills were installed this year and they are supplying a good amount of electricity for both the Kiwis and us.

Here is a different view of town. This weekend we get two days off for New Year's. There is a 6-hour concert on Sat. with 16 bands playing, if you can believe it. So much talent down here... Sunday there is a 10k running race, along with other festivities. Only about a month and a half left. Wow.

No comments: