Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Ivan the Terra Bus!

Well, I drove around this beast for three hours today, and I still can't get used to the fact that you have to start turning about 22 feet before you feel inclined to. Bill, an old veteran (here and in an actual war), taught me patiently, while also sharing his life story with me. By the end of the day, he gave me a hug, and told me I was the best Ivan driver out of all the newbies. Yeah, maybe he tells everyone that, but I still felt ridiculously proud of myself, as you can see from the bottom picture.

I will be driving 56 passengers in this vehicle shortly. There are only 7 Terras in extistence - and only 1 here. My arms got a major workout steering it around the Kiwi Base, around McMurdo, and a little ways out on the ice. Awesome!
Today is the first day that I am starting to feel in the swing of things instead of feeling in perpetual information and sensory overload. Allllrrright, as Ben likes to say.




3 comments:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

You're going to be known as "that hot babe that drives the big trucks!" haha you look beautiful! Nice job conquering the terra beasts!

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

oh, and hey, nice boots! :)

NC Grahams said...

Looks like another February day in VT to me- you should make everyone walk unless it's >-20 outside like we had to.
I'm jealous for you- although I'll take today's record warm 85 degrees out here in Raleigh for now.
Keep having fun, and don't let the whiteouts enter your mind!