Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Deltas and Observation Hill

Looking up at the cross on Ob Hill. I was the only hiker up there. A view down to where the nuclear power plant used to be.
The following pics are from out at Pegasus field, picking up passengers coming in on a C-17. I can't get enough of watching those planes land on ice and snow. It is wicked cool! Don't look too closely - runny noses are a real problem here from the cold ;-)

These Deltas are actually not hard to drive at all because they are articulated, like ants.
The plane taxes right up to where we are standing, then turns around and blows massive amounts of snow at us.



Last night, craving a bit of solitude, I climbed up the little mountain behind the station called Ob Hill. The wind was so powerful that I leaned back into it with all my weight and just rested on the gale forces. The cross on the top was erected in 1912 in honor of Scott and three other men who died on their way back from the South Pole. (First two pics)
Soon I will try to do some "real" writing about life here - as soon as I am done training...

1 comment:

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Wow it looks so cold! How high/far is the hike up there? Are there other hikes around? Love you!