Scott and I went out on trip leader training this past Sunday and we got to walk around a huge iceberg stuck in the sea ice. In a month or so, it will be floating free once again in the ocean.
I want to know why one side has these lines, but the rest of the iceberg is smooth as glass. I also want to know how old the snow ice that compressed into this berg. There was something about the blue color that made us all just stand and stare for a while.
It was about -40 yesterday, with wicked winds. I was so chilled for the last 24 hours that my shoulder blades hurt from being hunched.
It took a half hour to walk around the ice berg.
Me, hamming it up as usual :)
Bluuuuuue
Cape Evans Hut, two hours north of town by Delta, not terribly far from the edge of the sea ice.
Can you tell who took these pics?
Looking toward the edge of the sea ice. All this will melt away before too long. For now, we are landing C-17 jets and driving very heavy Deltas over about 2 meters of ice.
The side of the hut which Robert Falcon Scott and his men stayed in around 1908.
Goldilocks is often found in our room napping :) She has a key. There is an outrageous housing crisis here, with 188 more people than beds. We have just been told that Scott and I will be getting a roommate. Hmmm, wonder how that will work. I think we are actually going to have to move to another dorm which is a such a hassle. Everyone is upset about the whole situation.
Pointing out that someone has a snotsicle is socially acceptable in Antarctica. Scott didn't have one - I was just annoying him :) I love purple!
It is such a joy to run into Elizabeth occasionally around the station :) Surprisingly it doesn't happen too often. Here she is demonstrating the puppet she made for a puppet jano party. They do such fun things in that department! Scott and I are sometimes invited by E's friends to go to some of these events, but we know we are not allowed to go :)












No comments:
Post a Comment