Thursday, November 12, 2009

Scott heads out tomorrow - maybe


A panorama of Cape Evans taken by Scott (click to enlarge)

The door to the hut

Well, it has been a busy few weeks. Everything is up and running. I'm leading Cape Evans and ice caves trips, taking a Zumba class, rehearsing for the soiree, playing in a soccer league, learning country dancing....oh, and doing a little work. Actually, lots of work. I'm thinking of putting up a blog entry about what a typical day looks like sometime soon. Scott is supposed to leave for camp tomorrow but we are having a storm so he may be here a few more days - yay! Today I had to drive in nearly white-out conditions on a very squishy road, but then condition 1 was called and basically that means a snow day around here, except you don't go home.

Scott has his whole team here for AGAP and it looks like a great crew. Everyone is glad things are going so smoothly this year. I shared the story at breakfast with friends the other day about how Scott didn't shower for 13 weeks, and how a waxy substance came off in sheets when he took his first shower. Oops, the person's french toast and syrup suddenly didn't taste so good.






Check out the Heinz ketchup container from the early 1900s!

3 comments:

bendicott said...

I threw up in my mouth a little bit when you said the wax thing. You never told me that one. I really like the old stuff. Where's the explanation? Is all that old stuff from abandoned camp or something?

Anonymous said...

Ben, these are items left behind at Cape Evans back around 1914, after Scott's expedition/race to reach the South Pole first failed (Amundsen beat him by a few weeks). Scott and several others died in the attempt, only about 11 miles from a food cache which would have saved them.
-Mom

Liz / Tangible Ingredients said...

Cool pictures as always! I'm sorry Scott is away now, but with everything you've got going on I'm sure the time is going to fly by! Only like 4ish months til you come home! Love you!