Sunday, March 30, 2014

All Packed for the Danube Cycle Path (6 weeks cycling through Germany, Austria, Slovakia, and Hungary)


2 bicycles in this one huge box - 69 pounds! Hoping we will be charged the $150 bike fee only once since both bikes fit in this one box (still meets the airline parameters). I can't imagine there won't be some hassles along the way.

We are going to have to traipse through the 3rd largest hub in Europe - Frankfurt, Germany - then take several subway rides to get to our AirBnB place. We have to buy train tickets, purchase a phone SIM card, walk up and down big flights of stairs at subways, find the workplace of our AirBnB host, etc. all after traveling for 2 days.The AirBnB lady is so nice because she is letting us leave this box and our empty duffles at her place until we return in mid-May. Also she is cheaper - all the hotels in Frankfurt cost upwards of $500/night because there is a huge convention in town but Susie is only charging us 70 euros (with breakfast, plus she has sent me numerous emails giving me lots of information about Frankfurt, the airport, the train station, etc.)

This is going to be one of those walk 5 feet, rest 5 seconds, walk 5 feet deals. Those duffels weigh 40 pounds each. Imagine us navigating in a big European city with this stuff (we are way too cheap to even think about getting a taxi). We might as well just paint a giant USA flag on the bike box, wear big sombreros, and say, "howdy partner!" to everyone we meet. Definitely looking like American tourists. Oh well.

Scott's muscles are way bigger and more effective than mine. He did a beautiful job outfitting some of his old bikes, so we don't have to worry as much about theft or damage. We purposely put a ratty old squirrel-chewed seat (super comfortable though!) on my bike to discourage thieves. Bikes are very pricey in Europe and theft is apparently not uncommon.



This guy is a professional. Scott knows bikes, that's for sure.

I highlighted a map to show our route. We will be biking over 800 miles, that is, without any side trips. Definitely going to be lots of time to check out castles and such, rather than biking the entire day every day.

Our time with Cornelia Cat has come to an end. I am just crazy about this complicated pretty little creature. She leaves for Denver tomorrow, along with her mommy and daddy. I will especially miss the morning dance between her and Scott. Each morning, Corn lifts a paw and gives the woodwork a faux scratch with one claw, and Scott bounds out of bed to feed and appease her (and protect the woodwork at all costs!). She is an excellent human trainer.


Two weeks with these two, listening to them plan their wedding and their future, sharing good food, laughter, walks, and watching Elizabeth's instagram followers skyrocket to nearly 10,000 people after she became a recommended instagrammer by the company. Her pictures are such a delight! I love these two :) And I love the other two up in Whitefish too :) Or should I say 4, (including the pugs). I will post as often as I can on the journey, including the ridiculous trip there which includes sleeping in the San Francisco airport. I love journeys, but getting there is tough!

No comments: